Please consult a review of the Commission activities
and a list of Commission decisions since 1959.
The IMA-CNMMN has published over the past twenty-five years
in several mineralogical journals many official reports which contain the rules
and regulations about all aspects of the nomenclature of minerals and a number
of mineral groups. The following lists give an overview:
General mineralogical nomenclature
- Definition of a mineral
- Formal definitions of type mineral specimens
- Protocols on the depositions of investigated mineral specimens
- Procedures and guidelines on mineral nomenclature, 1998
- Solid solutions in mineral nomenclature
- Names, prefixes and suffixes, and adjectival modifiers
- Standardization of polytype suffixes
- Definitions of polytypism, topotaxy, syntaxy, epitaxy
- Format for chemical formulae and symbols for crystallographic axes and repeat distances
- Discreditation of mineral species
- Mineral names applied to synthetic substances
Nomenclature of mineral groups
- Platinum-group-element alloys
The reports mentioned in the these two lists have been compiled in a booklet form
by the Mineralogical Association of Canada and the Canadian Mineralogist on the occasion
of the IMA 17th General Meeting in Toronto (August 1998).
The booklet is available in two formats:
Nomenclature reports (IMA and non-IMA) not included in the compilation
- Report of the IMA-IUCr Joint Committee on Nomenclature (polytypes): Am. Mineral., 62 (1977), 441-445.
- Clay minerals: Am. Mineral., 65 (1980), 1-7.
- Nomenclature for regular interstratifications: Am. Mineral., 67 (1982), 394-398.
- Nomenclature of rare-earth minerals: Am. Mineral., 51 (1966), 152-158,
and Am. Mineral., 73 (1988), 422-423.
- Nomenclature of axinites: Am. Mineral., 53 (1968), 1407-1410.
- Modular classification of sulphosalts: Neues Jahrb. Mineral., Abhandl., 160 (1989), 269-297.
- Site populations in minerals: terminology and presentation: Can. Mineral., 33 (1995), 907-911.
Reports not approved by the IMA-CNMNC
- Astrophyllite group: Can. Mineral., 41 (2003), 1-26
(discussed and commented within the IMA-CNMNC, but not presented by the authors to the IMA-CNMNC for formal approval).
- True and brittle micas: composition and solid-solution series: Mineral. Mag., 71 (2007), 285-320
(with Milan Rieder, mica subcommittee chairman, as co-author).
- Nomenclature relevant to clay mineralogy: Clays and Clay Minerals, 54 (2006), 761-772
and Clay Minerals, 41 (2006), 863-877.
IMA-CNMNC subcommittees working on reports
- Subcommittee on Mineral Groups (Stuart J. Mills (chairman),Frédéric Hatert, Marco Pasero and Marco Ciriotti)
- Subcommittee on Unnamed Minerals (Jeffrey Defourestier (chairman), Marco Ciriotti and Zhuming Yang)